Rd1 Tigers vs Clermont Bears

Tigers hit the road for their first round game of the season. Celebrating Anzac Day and acknowledging the passing of a Life Member (Leonie Fysh) the both grades sported black arm bands in a mark of respect.

The Ladies were the first to hit the field and got out to a sluggish start. Clermont had better field position and ball control in the first half and showed that way on the scoreboard at halftime being 18-6 in favour of the bears. After the halftime break the Ladies showed more grit, determination and patience to gain the momentum of the game. The second half was a one sided after with our girls scoring 22 unanswered points to grab the first win of the season.

Casey Watkins grabbed a hat trick, Julie Murchie and Emma Holzwart picking a meat pie each. Goals kicked by Maria Rawiri, Denise Chaplin and Casey Watkins. The 3,2,1 for the game read 3 points Julie Murchie 2 Wendy Green 1 Casey Watkins.The  Injury concerns with Niketa Kent(knee) will be confirmed during the week.

The mens was up next and was a grand final rematch. The game did not dissapoint wit the biggest margin between them was 8 points during the game. The game was tit-for-tat and the momentum swung with both teams in different stages of the game and the points followed.

Halftime the Scoreboard read 16-14 to the Tigers. The bears hit back straight after halftime and looked the better team for the first 10 mins. The Tigers held their nerve and was patient and used their kicking game to swing momentum. Tigers picked up back to back tries to jump out in front.

Tigers 5/8 Brendon O’Neill was sin binned for 10mins for a professional foul. Brendon was forced to lay on the play as Clermont had a 4 man overlap. After O’Neill left the field the bears knocked the ball on which may have proved a very valuble play for the green and whites.

The game went down to the wire after the final hooter sounded the game was tied up at 36 all but the game was not quite finished. Another 90 secs was played as both sides went for the miracle plays. Both side had 2 chances each but went the ball went to ground it was declared a draw. Noone could say they didn’t get the gate fee’s worth.

Isaiah Huet let A Grade know of his arrival with monster metres and 3 tries. He was well supported by fellow team mate Sebby Steigler. Gavin Power was clincial on the wing picking up 2 tries. Other try scores on the night were Ray Ebsworth, Brendon Kelly. Ebsworth Converted 4 for the night. Izzy Huet was awarded the players player gong and 3 Points Darcy Darby 2 Ray Ebsworth 1 Ray Downie. Tigers have a few injuries to check out with Henry Watkins(knee), Josh Binnie(finger), Nathan Leef(knee), Sebby Steigler(concussion), Gav Power(shin) Ray Ebsworth(shoulder). Leef and Watkins are the only ones looking at multiple weeks.

Tigers would like to thank all of our loyal supporters for making the trip. Both teams have the bye next week so a weeks rest in order after a massive opening round.